November 1st marks another event for us this year: NaNoWriMo! No, that's not a typo. NaNoWriMo is short for National Novel Writer's Month (and it's much more fun to say!). It is a program for adults and young writers encouraging them to write a first draft of a novel in a month. At the end of the month, you get a great feeling of accomplishment for the big task you completed and a coupon code for a few free copies of your novel in paperback.
Cati often writes stories in her free time, so when I heard about this, I asked her if she was interested. Not only did Cati say yes, but Maria and Matteo said they wanted to do it, too. After talking with some experience participants (a.k.a. other homeschoolers who had done this for several years already) we set what we hope are reasonable word count goals for each one:
Maria: 6,000 (though, she says she actually wants to double this)
Cati: 5,000
Matteo: 1000
To put this in perspective, we looked up some word counts on the Internet of other popular novels. You might find this interesting:
War and Peace - 587,287 words
Gone with the Wind - 418,053 words (the longest book I've read, apparently)
Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone - 76,944
Harry Potter and the Deathly Hollows - 198,227
Charlotte's Web - 31,938
Stuart Little - 18,841
Rikki-Tikki-Tavi - 5,896
I'm looking forward to reading the kids' stories! They have been working hard over the past few weeks plotting their stories, deciding on characters, conflicts, and themes. It's a wonderful opportunity for them to practice many writing skills and and to use literary elements that we've discussed. It's also a good chance to set a big goal and to then break down that goal into small pieces to help them accomplish it in the end. I can't wait to see how it all unfolds this month!
The kids were very excited to get started today! Here's a look at a couple of the writers hard at work! Matteo is not pictured because I didn't think of taking a picture until he was already done for the day :)
|
| Maria working hard on her first day of NaNoWriMo |
![]() |
| Cati typing away at her first NaNoWriMo novel |
Today's word counts:
Matteo: 140 Cati: 277 Maria: 515
A pretty good start, I think! I'll try to update these totals regularly.
When talking with other moms about NaNoWriMo, I discovered that many of them join their kids in this novel-writing challenge. I don't have the time to jump into such an endeavor, but I found out about a few spin-off ideas similar to this: take a photo everyday, do an art project/drawing/painting everyday, and post to your BLOG everyday. This last one hit me as a worthy challenge, since I know many family and friends miss seeing and hearing about the kids through this blog. So, I've made it my goal for the month to post something everyday! I can't imagine they will be posts as long as this one, but hopefully, I can manage SOMETHING!
And, so far, I'm beating the kids in word count for the month: 658 words in this post!


2 comments:
Whoo-hooo! Welcome back to the blogging world. It sounds like a wonderful idea to post every day for a month.
And the writing plan sounds wonderful, although it would be seen as punishment around here to make my kids do that.
Love the novel idea, I went to the web site and signed up Brianna but I haven't quite figured out the program yet. Do you type it on there? I just cut and pasted from Brianna' word doc. and it gave me her word total. Writing is not my strong suit and I'd love some help with teaching it well. Thanks for the suggestion!
Post a Comment