Friday, November 9, 2012

7 Quick Takes, Vol. 2

--- 1 ---

First, a couple of nice fall photos. There have been too many words on this blog lately and not enough pictures!

Elena playing the leaves at SVC
Elena enjoying a beautiful fall afternoon
Do you see how sunny it is in these photos? It's supposed to be sunny and in the 60s this weekend!!

--- 2 ---

'Tis the season! Maria spent a good bit of time this week looking up homemade gift ideas on the Internet, and now everyone has presents that they are excited to get started on. The lists have been written, checked, and double-checked, so we can go shopping for supplies at Joanne's tomorrow!

--- 3 ---

Do you know how many times I have to get this boy out of a chair everyday? So many times, I can't count!
Climbing in a chair AGAIN!!

--- 4 ---

The family had dental check-ups on Tuesday - well, except for me. I went last week. It takes a while to clean the teeth of 5 kids and one adult. We took over the hygienist chairs for 2:45 to 4:45! I'm happy to report that no one had any cavities! We do have a lot of teeth coming in now. The dentist said that Elena is just starting to cut the last of her 2-year molars (probably why she hasn't been the best sleeper lately) and Matteo is still working on his 6-year molars. Giuseppe hasn't gotten his 1-year molars yet, so we're going to have some cranky kids with sore mouths running around here for a while!

--- 5 ---

The kids have been watching the Italian Little Pim DVDs for their Italian studies this fall. Even though they are geared to younger children, still find them valuable for the older ones as well because they really do teach a lot of good vocabulary and phrases.
Giuseppe learning Italian

Giuseppe loves watching them with his siblings! You can see how attentive he is to it in this photo. He always says, "Panda! Ciao!" when it starts. It's pretty cute! (A panda is the main character or narrator of the movies.)

 

--- 6 ---

Cati is completely out of her Halloween candy, and Elena is scraping the bottom of her pumpkin, but the others surprisingly still have a significant amount left!

--- 7 ---

Cati started struggling with NaNoWriMo this week. I started hearing a panicked, "I don't know what else to write!" I gave her my literature guide book that has a lot of questions in the back to guide our discussions about literature. She read through some of it, and now she's back on track! She doubled her daily word count goal for today! I knew we would have some struggles along the way, and I'm really glad that this was resolved pretty easily.

Maria seems to be doing well on her novel and hasn't expressed any frustration yet. She's well on her way to her personal goal of 12,000 words (however, I'm still posting her official goal of 6000 words for now). And says that she still has a lot of her outlined story left to write.

Matteo now just has a goal of reaching his daily word count of 40 words. I'm not sure what will happen when he reaches 1000 words but still has days left in November to write. I don't know if he will be done, or if I will be able to convince him to continue writing. Either way, I'll be very impressed by him reaching 1000 words! That is WAY more than he's ever written before and quite an accomplishment for a 2nd grader, I think.

Today's updated word counts:

Maria - / 6000

Cati - 1881 / 5000

Matteo - 730 / 1000

For more Quick Takes, visit Conversion Diary!

 

1 comment:

1sorriso! said...

I love the picture of Giuseppe learning Italian :-))))
Big hug!
Zia Anna