Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Breech baby

We had our ultrasound this morning. Elena is definitely head up, more specifically, a footling breech (feet first). The ultrasound also showed that the amniotic fluid is on the low end of normal, which means I'm not a good candidate for an attempted version. We had to stay for a non-stress test, too, which showed Elena to be an active, healthy baby.

Our only option at this point is a C-section, which has been scheduled for April 30th. There's a slight chance that she will turn on her own, in which case we could proceed with a normal birth. Everyone in the office was very nice and kind of disappointed for me that I've had 4 good, normal births, but will most likely have to have a C-section this time. It's kind of surreal for me. I signed the papers, and they talked to me about everything we're supposed to do on the 'BIG' day, but I don't really believe it yet :) Of course, the number one priority for us with all the children was a healthy birth for the baby, and that's why we must do this.

Next week will be filled with appointments! I'll still see my midwife on Monday. We'll have another ultrasound next Wednesday to check on the amniotic fluid levels. Then, I'll see the doctor who is scheduled to perform the C-section on Thursday and have another non-stress test.

More updates next week!

1 comment:

Modest Mama said...

Angela!

Becky has some recommendations for you about getting the baby to flip. She is going to call you tomorrow. Please know that you are in my prayers. I always take comfort in knowing that God already knows what is going to happen and it all happens according to his will.

Love, Jessica