While this isn't the kids' first trip to Italy, it is the first trip that they've really been old enough to reflect on the differences in living in another country. I asked them to list some of the things they like about Italy so far and some of the things they miss about the U.S. Here is what they said:
Giuseppe:
Well, he can't speak, but in his own baby language, I'd say that he misses having a quiet place to nap! His naps have been much shorter here. We're staying in closer quarters with more people than at home, so that makes for a bit more noise :) He does like the stroller - really, a bassinet on wheels. He takes his best naps in there while we take walks.
Elena:
She enjoys having a new place to explore (read "get into" or "mess up"). She loves helping Nonna around the house. She also really likes their big church with all the statues of "babies" (actually cherub angels) and candles. She thinks the churches are another place to explore. It can be rather difficult to take her to Mass because she wants to walk around. Thankfully, Nonna has been happy to have her stay home while I go with the older ones most of the time.
Chiara:
She said that she likes all the dogs that we see when we go out for walks. She also likes the Christmas tree lights and the Merry-Go-Round (Carousel) at the Square. She said that she also liked the balloon she got at there. She likes to go to the lake and see the ducks. She also likes the Christmas tree and Nativity at Nonna's house. She said that she misses her Nemo doll and Papa :)
From my own observations, I would also add that she likes taking walks anywhere! And she loves getting to play with her aunts and uncles! She is also enjoying eating lots of pasta, pastina, and fruit. In fact, she would be perfectly happy if this was ALL she had to eat :)
Matteo:
He said that he likes Lake Como. He likes to see the ducks and swans there. He liked visiting Zio Luca and Zia Miriam's house last weekend. (He went there with Zio Michele, Maria, and Cati for supper and to help put up their Nativity. Maria and Cati spent the night.) He likes the Christmas tree and Nativity here at Nonna's house. He said he also likes watching and playing soccer. He has watched some games on TV with Nonno and his uncles and he's played some games with them on their old Playstation. He also said that he likes looking out the window and seeing the mountains. He also likes the bottle tops that he's using as money.
Cati:
Cati said...
Maria:
Maria said that she likes…
- The lake
- Ducks
- Pigeons
- Pasta
- Prosciutto
- Seeing our relatives
- The lights
- Walking everyday
She misses…
- Understanding everything
- Friends
- Alter serving
Me:
So far, we've had big meals for Nonno's birthday, the Immaculate Conception, and our Anniversary (even though Dany wasn't here to enjoy it with me). We still have Christmas, New Year's / Cati's birthday, and Dany's parent's anniversary during the next 3 weekends. Their 40th anniversary is actually in February, but they want to celebrate it while we're here and have EVERYONE together!
I love walking around Como! I don't think they understand what a great privilege it is to live in a place where you can walk so much! We at least walk to church everyday and we've walked many other places, too. I love looking around to see how things are different from home...tiny cars, people on bikes with bells to warn you that they're coming, window shops everywhere, the Christmas lights...It seems like everyone is out celebrating the season when you go out to some event. I haven't even gotten to blog about the live Nativity presentation we went to last weekend. I can't imagine seeing something like it in the middle of a city back home.
There are always little inconveniences when you're away from your home turf, but they are easily excused for the joy of traveling and spending time with family and friends. I'll mention some of the main things I miss...
2 comments:
I totally miss walking also!
You are right! Bread is on my favorites list for all things European! Can't wait to hear more and see a picture of the WHOLE fam together (read: you had better take one)!
Post a Comment