Friday, April 12, 2013

7 Quick Takes

--- 1 ---

It's Spring in PA! It's been in the upper 70s this week and we've been wearing short sleeves! Things are blooming and I've been dosing out allergy meds to some of the kids. We're having a return to cool weather for the weekend, but I can't tell you how happy we are for Spring! Yay!

--- 2 ---

 

Nutrition lesson from Elena...

Elena: I no eat my fries at Steak 'n' Shake.

Me: You didn't eat your fries! Why not?

Elena: Because they're not good for me.

Me: They're not? Why?

Elena: Because Chiara has to eat gluten-free.

--- 3 ---

Chiara celebrated her 6th birthday this past Monday!

 

Happy girl!

Maria decorated the cakes. It was her first attempt at cake decorating, and she went all-out with modeling chocolate and fondant. We were impressed! (We don't normally have two cakes, but Chiara is on a dairy-free, gluten-free diet, so she got a special cake all to herself.)

 

 

--- 4 ---

A little girl who is not quite ready to give up naps!

 

--- 5 ---

You may not want Elena to make a smoothie for you. Apparently, she thinks fish, banana, tomato, lettuce, and onion would make a good combination.

Elena's smoothie

 

--- 6 ---

There's been an abundance of Knock-Knock jokes flying around here this week.

Chiara: Knock, knock.

Me: Who's there?

Chiara: Banana

Me: Banana who?

Chiara: Banana ice cream!

**********************************

Matteo: Knock, knock!

Me: Who's there?

Matteo: Luke.

Me: Luke who?

Matteo: Luke Skywalker!

************************************

A house full of comedians, we are (not?)!

--- 7 ---

Giuseppe, the photographer...Yesterday, I was working and heard, "Click, Click, Click." I looked up to see that Giuseppe had managed to find the camera app on the iPad and was taking pictures of himself :)

 

 

 

For more Quick Takes, visit Conversion Diary!

 

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow, gluten and lactose free with one, how do you do it??? I need to try that with Sam as he has been having stomach issues pretty much since birth and the dr. said to try one and then the other or both and I just don't even know what he will eat. We eat a lot of yogurt, oatmeal, cereal, grains and I don't want them to eat tons of rice since the whole "arsenic even in organic rice" thing. What kinds of meals do you prepare and does she ever feel badly that she can't have things the other ones can?

Angela said...

Hi, Beth,
Chiara is doing well on her diet. She hasn't complained and she hasn't tried to sneak any foods she shouldn't have. Actually, she's the one who usually reminds me that she can't eat something. Basically, I remember that she can have meat, veggies and fruit. For breakfast she usually has Rice Krispies with Almond milk or leftover GF pancakes or muffins from the weekend. For lunch she often has supper leftovers or nuts or GF pretzels and peanut butter or eggs along with some fruit and maybe some soy yogurt (I normally don't like us having soy, but I make this small allowance so that she can still have some yogurt - I feel like I have to tell her no so much when it comes to food that I have to allow a few things like this so that she can still have some of her old favorites, like yogurt). For supper we usually have chicken or roast in the crockpot with potatoes and some vegetable. Sometimes we will have pasta and I boil some GF pasta for her. It is a pain to have to make separate things, and I try to avoid it as much as possible. I am still experimenting with bread substitutes (muffins, pancakes, sandwich bread, etc.). I'm having some success adapting some Amish Friendship bread recipes for this sort of thing. I also checked out GF recipe books from the library. The Idiot's Guide to GF Cooking gave me a good start. The GF flours definitely taste differently than wheat and I've found that its best to try adding flavors to anything made with them in the form of peanut butter, bananas, cocoa powder, cinnamon, etc. also, since they don't have gluten, you have to add Xanthan Gum to them.

I hope this helps. We are still in experimental mode with Chiara. I'm quite sure that milk bothers her, but I still want to try regular yogurt again sometime, and I need to try gluten products again. I'm hoping in the end that I can allow some of these foods back in her diet because it would be tough to go without all of these forever - doable, but tough.

Anonymous said...

Sorry, I always ask questions that require long answers, I know that is probably a pain! Thanks for the answer though, that helps a lot. We will probably try both together and then add back one at a time to see what is causing his stomach issues. It is already hard for me to plan dinner so I am not looking forward to another challenge.

If you get a chance, could you explain more about writing time on the other blog. I love the book, No More, I'm Done, great suggestion!! The kids have been liking writing more and it gives me something concrete to focus on during writing time. They are still whining that they have nothing to write about occasionally and I am struggling with conferencing, typing their work, and getting them to finish pieces. I need to make myself some sort of organizer to make sure they get something done besides just writing for 10 min. I'd love to hear more about how you adapt that book for your use.

Angela said...

I enjoy "talking" with you here, so don't feel bad about asking questions. I do feel bad that it takes me a while sometimes to respond, but I'm sure you understand :) I am planning to do a series on the other blog reviewing all of our subjects from this year, what worked and what didn't, and I will definitely be discussing writing. I can't guarantee when I'll get around to this, but it will be over the next few weeks.