Friday, June 11, 2010

Cati's Prayer Book Cover - FINISHED!!

Cati received her First Holy Communion on May 2nd, a little more than a month ago. We gave her her own copy of the one-volume Liturgy of the Hours (LOTH), which we pray as a family. I also embroidered a book cover for it.

Unfortunately, this is what it looked like on the day we gave it to her - a sheet of fabric with some embroidery and a good bit of unfilled pencil markings.



I was inspired to do this project for 2 reasons. First, Dany and my copies of the LOTH have a homemade book cover with our initials embroidered on them. They were gifts from the mother of a good friend of ours. We received them in college. Then, when searching for instructions for embroidery - I had never embroidered - I came across a wonderful website, which I reviewed before on my blog, Mary Corbet's Needle n' Thread. The site's author made a beautiful book cover for a FHC gift. Of course, hers is much, much better than mine, but I think it still came out nice.

Here is the project all ready to start on April 3, one month before Cati's FHC.



Here are some pictures on the road to completing the project.
I completed the top half of the cross, but then I had to sew the vine since it would cross over the bottom half of the cross.




You can see the completed cross in the very top picture of the post.
Then I insisted on adding Cati's name. I kind of think I should have left well-enough alone. My lettering definitely leaves much to be desired, but it's not bad for a first attempt.


I made it into a cover for the book - and it actually fit!





Cati was very happy to have her new book cover!












And for once, Chiara couldn't resist having her picture taken, too :)





2 comments:

Katie Smithson Wylie said...

Beautiful work! She'll treasure that!

Anonymous said...

It is beautiful! What a nice gift and you don't give yourself enough credit. Maybe I'll learn to do that, one day!