Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Nothin' an art project can't fix!

Cati had a sad morning. On Saturday, after months of begging, I took Cati to get her ears pierced. (See this post.) She was so happy. She was really looking forward to changing the earrings in 4 weeks to some strawberry earrings that she picked out.

Unfortunately, we had to take out the earrings this morning. We will have to leave them out and let her ears heal. Yesterday, she developed a rash around both ears. It seems that she has a sensitivity to the metal in earrings, even though they were 14k gold. She's had many allergies and sensitivities since she was born, so it's not shocking, but still sad to a 7-year-old girl.

You can get see how red her ear is in this photo, although you can't really see the rash.



She sat in my lap and cried for a few minutes after I removed the earrings. Thankfully, I remembered that I had an art project planned for her today. Nothing makes Cati happy like a craft does! So, soon those tears dried...







...and Cati's pretty smiled returned! She's still a bit sad about her earrings, but she's definitely feeling much better after a healing art session!


2 comments:

Modest Mama said...

Oh! How sad! Can you re-pierce using 24 kt gold earrings? My mama is sensitive like that and she had to bring her own earrings for piercings.

Anonymous said...

Poor Cati! Life can have so many disappointments...thank goodness she can express herself with art.

Love,
Dot