Sunday, November 23, 2008

Homeschool Week(s)-in-Review 11/10 - 11/21

Well, I'm behind on blogging AGAIN! I imagine that things won't improve much over the next few weeks. We have 3 weeks to get Christmas presents ready and school things finished before going to GA.

This week should be a relatively relaxing week! We only have one activity this week, Monday morning swimming lessons, and 6-month dental check-ups for the kids. All of our other activies are cancelled for Thanksgiving! Dany only has 2 days of school, and then he'll be home the rest of the week. I've tried to put together an acceptable Thanksgiving meal for my family. They don't like most of the traditional Thanksgiving foods. The only requests I've had from the kids so far are corn-on-the-cob, cupcakes, and chocolate pie!

I'll start reviewing the past couple of weeks with Chiara's new sentence this week, "My tolt!" (translated: I'm cold!). That'll let you know what kind of weather we've had! She says it whenever we're outside going to or from the van. Today and tomorrow it will get above freezing during the day, so that's good :) Then, the cold and snow will return.

School-wise, it's been much of the same. The girls have studied the Middle and New Kingdoms of Egypt during the past 2 weeks. They really enjoyed it. Maria really enjoyed some of the library books about King Tut.

Maria's still doing well in math. She's been doing a lot more geometry lately.

She was very proud of the 6-page narration on the King David book that she read. I told her that she only needed to write a brief summary taking about 30-minutes, but if she wants to write, who am I to stop her! We do work on brief, to-the-point narrations with her writing curriculum.

In spelling, Maria learned the last 2 jobs of silent "e" and the consonant-le syllable. She thought it was fun :)

In science, science she compared the bounces of a room-temperature rubber ball and one that had been in the freezer for 4 hours. I had been worried that with the simplicity of these experiments that she hasn't been learning much. But, I asked her some questions last night, and it really is sticking! There's a lot of be said for simplicity, I suppose!

Maria finished her flower picture finally:




A week from this past Friday was the kids' last St. Vincent classes for this semester. Maria's art class had an art showing for the parents. Here's a picture of Maria and 2 of her paintings. The top one is the Mona Lisa. The bottom one is abstract :)




Cati

First of all, Cati lost her 2nd tooth this past Wednesday! Sorry, no picture yet. Our camera has been very uncooperative lately :(
Cati is really into the 'meat' of her math program now. Started adding 2-digit numbers with regrouping on Friday by trading pennies for dimes.
Cati found our Magic Tree House books a week ago and quickly went though the 5 that we have. So, I reserved some for her from the library. Together we've been reading some Thanksgiving books and Devotional Stories for Little Folks.
In Science, she finished her lapbook on Manatees, which ends our study of mammals (except for humans, which we don't have time for now and must wait until after Christmas). We started learning about fish this past week and more specifically about sharks. We've been reading library books and started a new lapbook. We hope to do a unit about salmon after this and, if there's time, a unit of coral reefs.


Matteo has been working on a Fall themed lapbook. We haven't quite finished, but hopefully I'll have pictures of it by Thanksgiving, along with the poems that the girls have been memorizing. He's really enjoyed having his own lapbook to work on!










No comments: